Thursday, October 01, 2009

Stop Snoring

I snore. I also apparently stop breathing while I'm asleep. So, I finally went to the doctor about it and they hooked me up with a sleep monitor a while ago. It was a take-home unit that I used one Friday night a while back and then returned to the clinic.

Yesterday I went to the doctor to get the results. Pretty much everyone, when they sleep, get to the point that their body is so relaxed that their tongue and soft palate slide back and block their airway -- maybe as many as five times and hour. Some people, still in the "normal" range might have it happen up to 15 times an hour. For me, on the night in question, it happened an average of 41 times an hour. So, I officially have sleep apnea and will be getting a device to keep my breathing all night long. Whee!

The other nice part about the device is it'll also keep me from snoring.

I'm waiting for the call to set up a time to go pick up the machine, but I'm not sure when that'll happen.

This is definitely a good thing, since, y'know, I don't want to die in my sleep.

2 Comments:

At October 05, 2009 6:27 AM, Blogger Artillery MKV said...

Sleep apnea is also a major block to weight loss as insufficient sleep seriously screws up your body.

 
At October 15, 2009 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

also leads to high blood pressure and excessive daytime sleepiness. Tell Seth to get his CPAP machine, and the two of you will be energy dynamos.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home