Friday, September 07, 2007

Propagating

Jeff started this meme a while ago and I thought it was pretty cool, so I'm continuing it. I actually did the day Jeff posted it (which was a while ago now), but I promptly forgot to do anything with it until he posted about it again. It turns out that was good because I'd originally mixed up the bolding and the italics, so I'm glad I had some time to edit. I'm playing board games with weekend with Seth, Rick, Chris, and Jason this weekend, so this is particularly timely.

So Green Ronin has released Hobby Games: The 100 Best, edited by James Lowder, to nifty initial responses at Gencon, and has in addition just posted on their site the table of contents of all 100 games and the authors covering them.

And Jeff thought it would be an opportunity to launch one of those "What X do you Y?" type memes. You know the drill - Copy the following list, and mark them up as follows:

Boldface if "I own this game".
Italics is "I have played this game".
Italic and Bold are "I both own and have played this game"(Sorry, no bonus points for "I WROTE this game" - now you're just bragging.:))

Hobby Games: The 100 Best
Bruce C. Shelley on Acquire
Nicole Lindroos on Amber Diceless
Ian Livingstone on Amun-Re
Stewart Wieck on Ars Magica
Thomas M. Reid on Axis & Allies
Tracy Hickman on Battle Cry
Philip Reed on BattleTech
Justin Achilli on Blood Bowl
Mike Selinker on Bohnanza
Tom Dalgliesh on Britannia
Greg Stolze on Button Men
Monte Cook on Call of Cthulhu
Steven E. Schend on Carcassonne
Jeff Tidball on Car Wars
Bill Bridges on Champions
Stan! on Circus Maximus
Tom Jolly on Citadels
Steven Savile on Civilization
Bruno Faidutti on Cosmic Encounter
Andrew Looney on Cosmic Wimpout
Skip Williams on Dawn Patrol
Alan R. Moon on Descent
Larry Harris on Diplomacy
Richard Garfield on Dungeons & Dragons
William W. Connors on Dynasty League Baseball
Christian T. Petersen on El Grande
Alessio Cavatore on Empires in Arms
Timothy Brown on Empires of the Middle Ages
Allen Varney on The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Phil Yates on Fire and Fury
William Jones on Flames of War
Rick Loomis on Fluxx
John Kovalic on Formula Dé
Anthony J. Gallela on The Fury of Dracula
Jesse Scoble on A Game of Thrones
Lou Zocchi on Gettysburg
James Wallis on Ghostbusters
James M. Ward on The Great Khan Game
Gav Thorpe on Hammer of the Scots
Uli Blennemann on Here I Stand
S. Craig Taylor, Jr. on A House Divided
Scott Haring on Illuminati
Dana Lombardy on Johnny Reb
Darren Watts on Junta
Greg Stafford on Kingmaker
Lester Smith on Kremlin
Wolfgang Baur on Legend of the Five Rings
Marc W. Miller on Lensman
Ted S. Raicer on London's Burning
Teeuwynn Woodruff on Lord of the Rings
Mike Breault on Machiavelli
Jordan Weisman on Magic: The Gathering
Steve Kenson on Marvel Super Heroes
Gary Gygax on Metamorphosis Alpha
Greg Costikyan on My Life with Master
John D. Rateliff on Mythos
Chris "Gerry" Klug on Napoleon's Last Battles
John Scott Tynes on Naval War
Erick Wujcik on Ogre
Marc Gascoigne on Once Upon a Time
Mike Bennighof on PanzerBlitz
Steve Jackson on Paranoia
Shannon Appelcline on Pendragon
JD Wiker on Pirate's Cove
Richard H. Berg on Plague!
Martin Wallace on Power Grid
Tom Wham on Puerto Rico
Joseph Miranda on Renaissance of Infantry
James Ernest on RoboRally
Paul Jaquays on RuneQuest
Richard Dansky on The Settlers of Catan
Ken St. Andre on Shadowfist
Steven S. Long on Shadowrun
Peter Corless on Shadows over Camelot
Dale Donovan on Silent Death: The Next Millennium
Matt Forbeck on Space Hulk
Ray Winninger on Squad Leader
Lewis Pulsipher on Stalingrad
Bruce Nesmith on Star Fleet Battles
Steve Winter on The Sword and the Flame
Jeff Grubb on Tales of the Arabian Nights
Shane Lacy Hensley on Talisman
Douglas Niles on Terrible Swift Sword
Ed Greenwood on Thurn and Taxis
Mike Fitzgerald on Ticket to Ride
Thomas Lehmann on Tigris & Euphrates
Warren Spector on Tikal
David "Zeb" Cook on Toon
Mike Pondsmith on Traveller
Zev Shlasinger on Twilight Struggle
Kenneth Hite on Unknown Armies
Sandy Petersen on Up Front
R. Hyrum Savage on Vampire: The Eternal Struggle
George Vasilakos on Vampire: The Masquerade
Kevin Wilson on Vinci
R.A. Salvatore on War and Peace
Jack Emmert on Warhammer 40,000
Chris Pramas on The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
Steve Jackson on The Warlord
John Wick on Wiz-War

Like Jeff, I have some specific memories that go along with a number of these games. Especially games like Squad Leader and Star Fleet Battles which I played as a teenager with my good friend Dave when he was still alive. Man, I sucked at those games.

There are also a couple on here I'm not sure if I've played, so I left them blank. Specifically Wiz-War and PanzerBlitz. I know I've played Panzer, but I may be misremembering the name. Does anyone know if those are two different games?

Looking at the list I can see I've played a lot of games over the years, but I also see that there are a number of games on the list that I really want to play. I guess I have a big "to-do" list now.

4 Comments:

At September 07, 2007 1:36 PM, Blogger Rafial said...

Wow, you've never played Axis & Allies? I thought that a gamer rite of passage :)

 
At September 07, 2007 2:00 PM, Blogger Jon said...

I'm pretty sure it is a rite of passage, but because I had so little fun with the super-crunchy war games my friend Dave liked, we never got the chance and instead moved onto other games pretty quickly.

I'm sure I'll play it at some point, but I don't feel too bad about missing it.

 
At September 07, 2007 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to chide you for exactly the same thing, Jon! For shame - Play the game!

First week of school is over - Insanity may now subside.

-Scott

 
At September 07, 2007 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Axis & Allies is a pretty game, but I never liked it as much as crunchier World War II simulations such as Third Reich. (You know, the ones with the numbered paragraphs like Rule 24.12.1.2(a).) Also, if you play with the historical teaming up of Axis and Allies, the Allies have a huge advantage.

Maybe it came out at the wrong point of my "gamer cycle".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home