Sunday, October 18, 2009

Time Marches On

My oldest nepher turns 18 today. He was born the year I graduated college. At the time I was working in the basement of Pic-a-Book on State Street in the comic/dart store and I was living in CotU. That was the nickname for the apartment I shared with Scott and Steve, or Kevin, or whomever was living there then. CotU was short for the "Center of the Universe," because my very large group of friends always congregated there for gaming, parties, movie-watching (especially MST3K), and pretty much anything else.

All of those friends will feel very old when they read that Jake is now 18.

I spoke with my sister Jean earlier and she can't believe she has an 18-year-old either. "Weird," was how she put it.

For his part, Jake was out on the land behind the family's tractor dealership building a chicken coop. He's wanted chickens since he was a kid and he finally went out and bought some chickens a while ago.

So, happy birthday to Jake! I wish I could be there to celebrate with you.

Right now I have to stop messing around on the computer (which is working wonderfully!) so I can finish my laundry and go into work for a bit.

1 Comments:

At October 31, 2009 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, CotU. Miss that place. Ahh, pic-a-book.
Memories... funny how the pain has faded with time. =)

RL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home