Tuesday, April 01, 2003

Well, that was a hellish day.

Really, I don't even know where to begin.

Wait, here's a good thing to start with: 24 years ago last night (Monday, that is) my family was visiting my Uncle Bob, Aunt Betty, and cousin Jamie at their home in East Troy. My parents were playing cards with my aunt and uncle and us kids were listening to music -- I distinctly remember listening to YMCA by the Village People. On vinyl. Probably on a Sean Cassidy record player. When we left, it was very late in the evening and it was snowing. We piled in Grandma's car that we'd borrowed for the evening, backed out of the driveway and started down the road. Just as we pulled away, my mom and dad leaned over to give each other a kiss and the car spun wildly out of control and slammed into a lightpole. We couldn't have been going more than 30 miles an hour, but the accident managed to break my ankle (hairline fracture, actually). Dad stopped the car, pulled back into the driveway and checked the damage. The front of the car had a perfect semi-circle in it, the exact size of the lightpole. We decided not to go home that night, but the next day we woke up to me with a swollen ankle, a still-busted-up car, and a phone call to Grandma telling her we'd gotten in an accident in her car. Wheeee! Fun!

That's what today was like.

My boss came back from Japan after a week away and apparently he'd been having some conversation over email with the owner of the company who's apparently less than pleased with my performance. Really, a lot less than pleased. So, my boss calls me in this morning, berates me for coming in late and then tells me that the owner has decided that I don't really fit in at the company and he has to let me go.

I don't even know what more to say.

I was stunned. Still am. I haven't even been able to talk to anyone today. I have no clue what I'm going to do, if I can even find work out here, if I should just move home, and if I do, how I can possibly afford to do it. I just bought a new car. I still have big loan repayments. I still have credit card bills and other bills to pay. And I have enough money to last...oh, about 'til the end of the month. God, I am so screwed.

Anyway, I've spent most of the day just walking around town and trying to figure out what to do. I still have no clue.


Forget it. I don't know what else to say. I've been staring at the screen for 20 mintues and I can't think of the next thing to write. I'm going to see if I can make myself eat something, then go to bed.

I'll update when I can.

Oh, most people do things like this at the start of the day, but I figure it's still the 1st until midnight, so: april fool's! I hope you weren't too put out by my little tale. Things are good. I'll update for real sometime on Wednesday. Time for dinner.



Post a Comment

<< Home