Tuesday, October 04, 2005

By Your Command

Lou asked for it, the game we played on Saturday was called Return of the Heroes. You can find more about it here and here and here... if you want to.

And despite the fact that the reviews are all rather favorable, I can't actually back them up. The game has a lot of interesting bits, but I'd have rather done almost anything else. So, Lou, what I'm saying is, it's not worth buying or even playing, really, but it might be worth watching some other suckers play -- for a while -- in order to see how it works.

Changing gears; I saw Serenity today and it really was a damn fine movie. I really enjoyed it and if you like sci-fi movies I'm sure you'll like it. Please check it out.

2 Comments:

At October 04, 2005 10:54 PM, Blogger Seth said...

I wasn't as horribly scarred by the experience as Jon was, but the game still leaves a lot to be desired.

If you end up getting it, Lou, plan on enduring the first time through. Clearly identify all of the several separate random game mechanics. Then, for your next time, decide which elements you would rather were player-chosen at the start of the game, open information rather then hidden information, or simply omitted.

I swear that if you can find the right balance that works among all those elements, there's a good game that plays differently many times in a row in there somewhere.

Not that I think the Nameless can really be beaten. THAT'S broken.

 
At October 07, 2005 6:05 PM, Blogger Lou Wainwright said...

I just plunked down my $20 + S/H for Runebound 2nd edition, so I don't really need another game of this type anyway. Realistically, I still have trouble getting my group to not force me to play DUNGEON! when they want to play a board RPG.

Runebound had some serious flaws in first edition, at least if you cared about game balance and speed of play. The 2nd edition looks much better, although there are still complaints that with over 4 people it has too much downtime (which I can easily belive). I'd bought the first edition for $40 and was going to throw it out, but they sucked me in with an exchange offer for $20 more. If I can ever get people to give it another try I'll let you know how it is. For now my gaming is limited to my friend and I playing a couple hours of MechWarrior each Saturday after the kids go to bed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home