Friday, November 30, 2007

Thanksgiving Week and After

I've been busy wrapping up my writing assignment, which is officially finished, edited, and turned in, so I haven't had time to write about Thanksgiving or the week that followed. Time to fix that.

Turkey Day was good. Julia and I went to her parents' place and they laid out a nice dinner with all the fixin's. Afterward we chatted, then played a couple games of Fluxx and Ticket To Ride, which they enjoyed immensely even though everyone was very quiet during it.

Since I'd finished my writing on Friday, I was able to spend the weekend relaxing with Julia, which was a nice change that we both enjoyed.

Sunday I ran my D&D game. It didn't go well. One of the problems is that, although I'm familiar with the adventure, I didn't look at the big picture of it and unfortunately I has a lot of "save-or-die" encounters. (We're playing through the Grasp of the Emerald Claw Eberrron adventure.) So first they fought a dire shark and the rogue died. Then they fought the bodak and managed to ambush it instead of the other way around (because the same rogue, a changeling, was disguised as a member of the Emerald Claw) and it's save-or-die gaze attack was ineffective. Then they waded through the drow in the temple. Followed up by an unfortunate incident with the gargantuan scorpion that cost them their hireling cleric. They didn't have their fighter with them, so they recognized they couldn't take it without her. Finally, most of the party was taken out by 10d6 of "trap" damage from a flood of water -- which cost them their other cleric and knocked most of the rest of the party to nearly zero. Plus, the next encounter is supposed to include another save-or-die monster, but I just can't do that to them, so I have to alter the encounter a bit. Anyway, the adventure is a little frustrating, so I'm going to have to work on fixing it somehow.

I'm running the next game on Sunday, so hopefully I'll be able to prepare a bit and make it more fun. Enough about the game! Or at least about that game.

Monday and Wednesday I edited my writing.

Tuesday I played in the bi-weekly Warhammer game, which was fun, but it took the whole evening to finally make some real progress in the game. Again, this was an issue with the pre-written adventure, not the players of the GM. This time I was on the player side of the equation. Still, I had a good time.

Thursday night Julia and I went out for an early dinner to celebrate two years together. Our actual anniversary is December 1st. We had dinner downtown at Barollo's, which we learned is a sister restaurant to Momma Molina's in the U-District. It was the last night of the 30 for $30 program, so we had a limited menu, but it included appetizers, dinner entrees, and dessert -- and all of it was excellent.

And there you go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home