Thursday, January 24, 2008

Still Searching

I've had a couple of preliminary phone interviews this week. One that I'm particularly excited about and interested in is a Game Design position at a computer gaming company. I had that call this morning and I had to explain that yes, I had a lot of experience as a Game Designer, it's just that none of it is from the computer gaming industry. I could tell from the, "Oh" she replied with that I'd been written off.

And this was for a position that they wanted only 6 months of computer gaming experience for. 6 months! That's nothing! And all of my design, development, and management experience over the last ten years apparently counts for nothing. It's so frustrating. I don't know what I have to do to convince someone that I am perfectly capable of what they're looking for.

I explained the situation and she said she'd include in the pile of resumes that she passed on to the hiring manager, but she didn't seem thrilled about it.

So frustrating.

2 Comments:

At January 25, 2008 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not that you were asking for suggestions, but here's what I'm doing to make up for my lack of computer game design experience: making a computer game.

There are game-making programs out there that let you make adventure games, platform games, or RPGs (and others, I'm sure) without doing any actual programming.

Creating a game in one of these packages isn't the same as working on a shipped professional title, but in the end, you have something you can point to that PROVES your paper skills can be applied to the electronic platform.

(So where's my game, you ask? Um. Still working on it. And it's going to look like crap, since I have to do to all the graphics myself.)

 
At January 25, 2008 12:29 PM, Blogger Jon said...

Hey Darrell:

Yes, this is something I've looked at as well. And if I somehow manage to find the time, I'll probably try my hand at it. I'm sure it would be a very useful and educational exercise.

Thanks! And pass on your game when it's done!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home