Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Health

I went to the doctor a while ago and although I didn't really like the him (my regular was busy) he repeated what I'd heard in the past: That my triglycerides are elevated and that means I may develop diabetes if I'm not careful.

I'm not thrilled about that, to say the least.

What really sucks is that I'm having weird headaches and frequently not feeling well and I don't think it's some errant bug. Instead, I think it's early warning signs that diabetes may be settling in and that worries me. I have no interest in developing it. In fact, it was one of the reasons I started on my whole quest to lose weight and get into shape.

In the last year or two I haven't been working out much because I don't have a gym membership and it looks like it's finally starting affect me.

I really am concerned about it so I'm going to start a walking/get in shape regimen to try and head it off. I'm going to have to do it on the cheap since I can't afford the gym, so I'll have to get creative.

To that end, I found a really good article on how to get the most out of your workouts at Health.com. Check it out if you're already working out or even thinking of starting. They're mostly tips I haven't heard before, which is nice.

And wish me luck on the whole diabetes front.

3 Comments:

At January 16, 2008 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, Jon. Take care of yourself, man. Diabetes runs in my family as well. Nasty, sad condition.

-Scott

 
At January 17, 2008 5:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jon!
Check out Spark People.com it's a great diet/exercise site with a lot of helpful tools and at least one of your friends in there! I'll e-mail you a link from home.
-KRR

 
At January 22, 2008 3:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

was somewhat worried about that myself, as you know.

While similarly worried about cancer last year (I don't have it, in case you were wondering), I got continued confirmation that my kidenys and pancreas are functioning normally.

You've come a long way, my freind. Stay the course!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home