Wednesday, April 09, 2003

I ran my Mutants & Masterminds game last night. It was a big combat, so the players and I could learn the combat system a bit better, but it also tied into the plot and I managed to introduce a couple of interesting new elements for the players to have in the back of their minds. Combats can get a little boring, but we had to go slow since it's a new system to all of us. Overall it went well and everyone had a good time, I think.

I brought my "logbook" that I keep on my visits to the gym. Because Monday was my 500th time working out I thought I'd post an update on what I did when I first started, compared to what I do now. I want to preface this by saying that received an email from one of my dear readers back in Wisconsin. He said that he really admires my dedication and then goes on to say that he's just not the type of person that goes the the gym that regularly. Well, I got new; I, like you, am not the type of person to go to the gym regularly.

Seriously, I'm not. Yes, I've gone to the gym 500 times in, um, 34 months, but I'm not like that. Growing up, I was less active than most people. I watched more than my share of television, played more than my share of games that allow you to sit on your butt and do nothing, and eaten waaaaaaaaay more than my fair share of food. When I was in my late 20's/early 30's I said, "If I continue like this I'm going to get diabetes, develop serious heart disease, have a sucky quality of life, and die long before I want to. I guess I better do something about this. I think eating better and getting some exercise is the best thing to do." And, there you go. I started going to the gym, kept going until it became part of my routine, and now it feels wrong not to go -- and I've gone 500 times. That's my advice to anyone who wants to start; make it part of your routine. Walk (or go to the gym, whatever) every other day for a month. Commit to that. Then, at the end of the month it'll feel wrong not to go for a walk every other day.

Anyway, here's where I started when I first went to the gym:

Made the following list:
1. Eat less.
2. Eat better -- no soda, no red meat, more veggies & such.
3. Lose weight.
4. Work out 3-4 times per week.
5. Drink more water.

"Rode" the stationary bike for 25 minutes at about 70 rpms.
Walked for 15 minutes.

That's it. That's where I started and I remember thinking that that was pretty good. It took about 45 minutes round trip from my house and back.

What I do today:

5 minutes on the stationary bike to warm up.
Stretch for about 10 minutes.
Do 60 lunges on the track. These are long strides in which you drop slightly and pick yourself up at the end, all with your legs. They really work your legs.
Lat Pulldown: 30 reps of 60 lbs.
Leg Curl: 35 reps of 80 lbs.
Chest Press: 30 reps of 60 lbs.
Leg Extension: 30 reps of 60 lbs.
Shouldner Press: 30 reps of 35 lbs.
Bike or walk on the treadmill for 10 minutes to keep my heart rate at about 150.
Then I go back and do all the exercises again, but add 10 bls. to the weight.

That's a pretty typical workout for me now. I have a couple I swap between, but that's the easiest to decribe and fairly representative. It takes about an hour and half plus travel time.

Seriously, if I can do this. You can.

Now, I'm going to get some dinner and...go to the gym. G'night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home