Monday, November 08, 2004

Happy, Happy Day!

I was minding my own business, walking around at work today and James, one of my co-workers said, "Oh, hey Jon . . . here," and he handed me a bound-together book of 8 1/2" x 11" pieces of paper with a picture on the cover. It read, "The Barber's Closet". Inside are all of the drink recipes from the Barbers Closet. Even the Sweet Tart.

To give you some history, the Barber's Closet was an old speakeasy in Madison that was eventually converted into a legitimate bar. It was in the basement of the Club de Wash, which held a number of bars and a restaurant . . . until the whole thing burned down in the early 90's. Very sad.

Well it turns out that James' wife had worked at the Barber's Closet and had one of the drink menus -- and it turns out she also salvaged a lot of alcohol from a refrigerator that kept it safe from the fire, so they had parties using the drink menu for about a year after the fire.

So, now I have a copy of the recipes. I plan on scanning it and making a pdf of it for download (most likely with a lot of Seth's help), hopefully soon.

The Sweet Tart is the recipe I was really excited to get and I recommend it to anyone who wants to try the perfect drink.

Sweet Tart
12 oz. Tub
Fill with ice
1/2 oz. Sloe Gin
1.0 oz. Absolut Citron
Bar Sour to 1/2, splash of 7Up
1 short straw
Garnish: Lemon

There you go, just as it's written in the recipe book. Some of that is in bar-speak, for example I assume a "tub" is a term for a wide tumbler-style glass, "bar sour to 1/2" I learned means to fill the glass until it's about a 1/2" below the rim of the glass. If you drink -- ever -- you must try this drink. It tastes exactly like a sweet tart, but in a really good way.

6 Comments:

At November 08, 2004 11:25 PM, Blogger Glenn said...

Liana and I want the pdf of this pretty badly.

Liana wants it badly enough that her grammar has deteriorated to verb-only speak. "Want! want! want!" she cries.

Any chance you could get this into pdf form before the 19th? (That's when Liana and I have an adults-only outing).

 
At November 09, 2004 5:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH


MY


GOD.

Please post immediately. That is all. Thank you.

Scott

 
At November 09, 2004 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon:

You are now the most powerful human being in the universe.

All bow before your greatness!

RL

 
At November 10, 2004 6:21 AM, Blogger Artillery MKV said...

You MUST post this with all speed! We have one of the old menus, but not the recipes. We've been struggling to recreate these drinks for years. (I think we have a fair imitation of the swampwater, but still!)

This is not a want. This is a NEED!

 
At November 10, 2004 7:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe you could have the most popular Christmas cards ever this year, Jon.

Dr John

 
At November 10, 2004 11:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kevin,

Can you scan and post the menu as well? The Barber's Closet was a favorite hangout for me during graduate school and I suspect the menu and the recipies may be different in layout, etc.

Thanks,
Liana

 

Post a Comment

<< Home