Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Poker Weekend

This last weekend I played a lot of poker. Friday night I went to a co-worker's place and played in a weekly game, then Saturday (after comics and cleaning) I went to work to play poker with a number of people who will be going to Vegas soon for a trade show. In addition to all that, I picked up an electronic poker game last week and over the weekend I played something like 1,600 hands. I even played in the simulated 2004 World Poker Championship and came in 11th out of about 2,600 participants. That was cool.

Sunday I went to Liz and Madalyn's for a "Free Martha" party. It was a goofy theme, but we had a good time chatting and playing with Mike and Sharon's kids. Right after that I headed over to Chinook's for Hays' birthday dinner. That, too, was fun. A bit low key, but fun.

The last couple of days have been busy with meetings and trying to make progress on a new game. It's been fun, but it's very behind schedule. It's mostly off my plate for a couple of weeks now, so others have to worry about it more than I for the moment.

That's about all for now. I'm going to get a good night's rest now.

6 Comments:

At March 09, 2005 6:28 AM, Blogger Glenn said...

Darn it, the best I've done in the 2004 tourney is 14th place. You are now officially my poker nemesis, my secret dream to humiliate you in heads-up play for the top prize.

 
At March 09, 2005 7:16 AM, Blogger Jon said...

Glenn, it may be the difference of what games we're using, too. I have one called "DD Tournament Poker 2005" the Collector's Edition; no limit Texas Hold'em. It was made by Eagle Games. I've no idea how the artificial intelligences work in these things, but I imagine they vary from game to game.

Glad to hear you've been playing, too. It's surprisingly fun when money isn't actually involved.

 
At March 09, 2005 2:24 PM, Blogger Seth Johnson said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At March 09, 2005 2:25 PM, Blogger Seth Johnson said...

"It's surprisingly fun when money isn't actually involved."Hear, hear.

 
At March 10, 2005 3:13 PM, Blogger Glenn said...

I like it with money too, just as long as the sums are modest. ($5 or $10 buy-in). More than that, and people are likely to get unpleasant about the whole thing.

DD Tournament Poker is in fact the same game I play. It's still not as good as playing against real people, but it's good enough to help me sharpen my skills as general preparation toward humiliating any poker nemesis I might happen to have.

 
At March 17, 2005 6:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe a pokerbot script has been written such that you can program it with your own betting algorithm and let your bot play others online. Glenn, you might find this a good way to test your betting method with lots of games at once. Nothing like increasing your sample size to hone your methods.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home