Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Bad Habit

I have this bad habit. Now that I'm unemployed (oh, agony!) I spend a lot of time in front of my computer working on my new writing project. Right now I'm writing up characters, so it's mostly constructive time as I get familiar with the game system again, but I find that I feel obligated to keep working instead of updating my blog. So even though I could update at pretty much any time, I don't. It's very strange to me that I updated a lot more often when I was working full-time. So, I've been writing and working on these characters instead of updating -- wait, that's not really a bad habit, is it?

I'm thinking very seriously about getting a laptop. It would be so nice to be able to type directly into a document while at Julia's instead of writing everything out by hand and then copying into the computer later. I imagine I'll wait until after I return from GenCon and some vacation, but I think I see a new computer in my future. Of course if I get the computer I'll have to reconfigure my desk a bit so that I can more easily transfer files. Ah, we'll see how it goes.

Tim sent me a copy of Human Head's new game, Prey. I haven't had a chance to load and play it, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they've done in the past five years. They've been getting some good press for it, so I know Tim is pretty happy with how it's been received.

I'm especially excited to learn that Rob and John will also be at GenCon this year. Seth and I are trying to convince Phil that he has to bring Scott, which would be awesome. It would be amazing to have most of my best friends in one place again. I think the last time that happened was two years ago at Christmastime at John and Lisa's last place in Madison. Admittedly, I'll be pretty busy at the show, but I'll make some time to hang out and have fun since everyone will be there. I'm really looking forward to it.

So, what have I been up to lately? Well, the weekend before last Julia was an invited artist at the Renton Annual Art Show at Renton River Days, so we spent the Wednesday and Thursday beforehand pricing and doing inventory for all of her stuff, then set it up Thursday afternoon. There was an opening party that night that we attended (which was surprisingly nice) and then we tried to stay cool for most of the rest of the weekend. We checked in on her stuff a couple times, went to the River Days with her family, and then packed everything up Sunday. It was very hot (yes, it was actually hot) and busy.

Then, this last weekend, Julia was showing her stuff at the Capitol Hill Block Party. The block party was pretty good, but people were in a drinking and listening to music mood, not really a mood to buy jewelry, but even so she did all right. What was most exciting about this show was that we used her brand-spankin' new tent. So now she can do other outside shows that require a tent. That was Friday and Saturday, then Sunday we walked around the Bellevue Art Fair and did some research on whether or not she can get into that next year.

I've also been watching a lot of DVDs via Netflix (in reverse order):

The Eyes of Tammy Faye
The Aristocrats
Teen Titans: Season 2
Teen Titans: Season 1
The 4400: Season 1
Deadwood: Season 2
Brokeback Mountain
March of the Penguins

Julia and I have pretty much enjoyed all of them, although The Aristocrats wasn't at all to Julia's liking, and I watched the Teen Titans pretty much solo. The 4400 has an interesting premise, but the writing really isn't as good as it needs to be. Deadwood is flat-out excellent, I think Julia likes it more than I do, which is saying something. Anyway, lots of movies.

Okay, that's enough for now. Jim's in town this week, so I need to get ready to meet with him today, then we have gaming or a movie tonight. Woohoo!

Oh yeah, tomorrow's my birthday! Double woohoo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home