Saturday, July 28, 2007

A Day in the Sun

Rob leaves for D.C. again next week, so we took this weekend as an opportunity to get together and hang out before he takes off. It's unlikely that I'd be able to get down to the Navy base he's stationed at during the week, so this was pretty much the last chance. It worked out really well. Some friends of his had a car for the day, so we met up at Pike Place Market and this beautiful, sunny Saturday, grabbed some food from the shops nearby and chatted for a bit. Rob has been to the market a couple of times this visit and he'd had his eye on some hombow from one of the shops, so he indulged that craving and was very happy with his decision.

After food and conversation he and I took off (my meter was due to expire any minute) and went back to my place for a bit. Honestly, we didn't do anything particularly exciting -- except go to work and grab my laptop, which I'd forgotten on my desk -- but we had a great time catching up and talking about whatever happened to come to mind. Around six o'clock I dropped him off with his friends again and they were due to head back to base. It worked out perfectly and I really enjoyed having the day to spend with him. I'd be very excited if he could get stationed out here once he's done with medical school. But that'll be a while.

Otherwise, work has been fine. The woman I'm replacing while she's on maternity leave was told by the doctor to officially "take it easy" about a week ago, so I really only received a week of training before I was thrown in and told to swim, which turned out to be fine. The other people in my department have been very helpful and understanding, plus I'm beginning to get a pretty good idea of just what the hell I'm supposed to be doine.

That said, I haven't been carting my laptop to lunch everyday, so I haven't been posting. I'm going to make a concerted effort to fix that this next week. Of course, it's not like there's anything too exciting going on in my neck of the woods, but a week between posts is much too long.

Phil called and said he'll be out in a couple of weeks. He has some work to do, so it sounds like we'll be able to meet up for dinner one of the nights he's here. That should be fun. We all wish he'd been able to make it while Rob was here, but no such luck. That's okay, I'll take what I can get. It's nice to see everyone regardless of overlap. I'm just sorry Rob wasn't able to see him, and vice versa.

Jason and I have been talking about him running a D&D game. Damn, I can't tell you how excited I am to hear that. It's been way too long since I've actually played D&D (my guess is about three years -- and that was only for a couple of sessions). We'll see if it actually gets up and running. I have three pretty solid character ideas, so I'm ready when he is.

This weekend is Renton River Days and Julia has her jewelry down there as one of their featured artists. So far it looks like it's going very well. That coupled with her sales to the Seattle Art Museum and she's on cloud nine lately. It's really very exciting.

I'm doing research for my writing project, but much more slowly that I should be. I have to buckle down on that, but there's still plenty of time before I have to worry. Of course, given the number of pages to read through, I really need to get serious about it.

My birthday is coming up this week, so I'm hoping to have a few people over next weekend as a birthday/housewarming. I don't think it'll be too many people, just the regulars. I've been remiss in having a housewarming anyway, so this'll make some amends. Plus, gifts!

I'm going to go spend some time with my girl on a beautiful Saturday evening. More soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home