Monday, August 02, 2004

Weekend Madness

Earlier last week I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get away from work for the weekend because I wanted to finish something up by the end of the month -- and by the end of the week I'd learned that the deadline had moved. And so, I was able to drive down to Portland with some friends from work to watch another co-worker pilot one of the entrys in this year's Flugtag.

Flugtag is an event in which teams build human-powered "flying machines" and then launch/push them off a pier. It's very much style over substance because I don't think anyone is actually trying to get their contraption to get very far, but it's a whole heck of a lot of fun.

Anyway, I spent Saturday driving down there, sitting around at the "hanger" (really just a patch of grass where they kept the craft until launch, and going out for dinner and drinks with people. The event itself was a lot of fun. Everyone loved Hair Force One and it won the People's Choice award. I think they got a little ripped off on the final scores, but whadayagonnado?

Sunday I had to figure out how to get my car out of a parking lot that was locked (long boring story skipped for your benefit) and driving back to Bellevue. This trip further confirmed that people in Washington don't know how to drive properly. Even though they drive slowly, they all want to be in the left-hand lane, like it's an insult to be the right-hand lane because no one wants to be regarded as "slow". They also can't merge, which came up a couple of times, but really I just thought I needed to mention it again.

Sunday night I did laundry and played more City of Heroes.

Monday was/is my birthday and I didn't really have anything planned. I received a number of calls and cards from friends and family (thank you!) and at lunch I was genuinely surprised when I walked up front to go to lunch with some people and found about half the office there to wish me a surprise "Happy Birthday" and then have a potluck lunch. They rule. I think every day should be like that. Thanks to all of you. Mom and Dad sent a big bouquet of balloons, too, so they decorated my desk for the afternoon. Fun.

Tonight I'm going to relax and clean up a bit in preparation for Rob and Jen coming to town this weekend. That should be fun. I have to reach him and ask when he'll be staying. I also have to figure out if/when I'm going to have a party this weekend. Should be fun.

2 Comments:

At August 03, 2004 6:02 AM, Blogger Greg said...

Thank you, Jon. I now have confirmation that people in Washington state are horrible drivers. I made the exact same comments when I got home from my last trip there.

Happy birthday!

 
At August 05, 2004 12:49 AM, Blogger Jon said...

Greg,

They're not just bad, they're awful. I mean, wow.

Angel,

No problem. I knew you were on a trip (hope it went well). See you soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home