Monday, July 19, 2004

The Weekend of Work and Fun
I've been very busy at work, so Friday was a full day. It was our monthly game day, but I didn't get to play because I had plenty of work to do. Pat and Angel asked me to join them for dinner to celebrate his birthday, so I left work at a reasonable time and drove over to Eastlake to a place called Bandoleone. It was excellent. I also got to meet some friends of Partrick's, including his mother and younger sister. They were a lot of fun.
After dinner we met up with a bunch of others at Golden Gardens for a bonfire on the beach. It was laid back, but fun to stand around and talk, watch the fire, and listen to the water.
Saturday I got up and headed downtown to meet Seth at Xanadu for comics, then we went to lunch with his parents. I haven't seen them in years and they seem to be doing well. They'll be here for a while, so I'm sure I'll see them again soon.
I was going to head straight home and go to work, but Shane convinced me to meet he and Cathy at Volunteer Park because they were going to go walk the dog they were watching and enjoy the nice day. How could I say no to putting off work in favor of lazing around in the sun? I couldn't. So that's what I did for an hour or two, then I went to work.
I worked from 3:30 until 9:30, then, as i was about to leave, Shane called and said to meet them for dinner down at Thai Ginger. It was late to be eating dinner, but we were all hungry. Shane and I talked a bit about the comic -- and hopefully he'll be getting some work done on it soon. I hope so, it would be cool to get it going again.
Sunday I woke up feeling pretty darn good. My cold stayed merely a cold all week, but it made me awfully tired, but unable to sleep very well. An annoying combination. But Sunday I felt pretty well-rested, so I got up and went to work. I chatted with Kim while I worked, but I managed to get everything I wanted to get done done. I have more to do this week, but the bulk of the work is complete.
Sunday evening was Matt and Meredith's  wedding. It was great. Very informal and comfortable. Their dog was the ring-bearer. They also had the most beautiful cakes I'd ever seen. I'll have to be sure to ask them where they got them and pass the info on to Shana. They had the wedding at the Asian Art Museum in Volunteer Park. It was a great venue. Matt was sure to point out all the single women at the party (okay, he pointed out the one single woman that I didn't already know). She was very cute, but not really my type. Still, we had a good time dancing and talking. The English woman who's a friend of Meredith's was there, too. We always get along very well. She was funny because she has her Masters (hmm, maybe it was her Ph.D.) but now all she wants is a brainless job for a while. Matt's sister was there, too. I remember meeting her a long time ago at a party. She's a cutie (don't hit me, Matt!).
And that was pretty much the weekend. Tomorrow I try to work like a madman to get everything done before I go on my trip.
Oh, I think I've injured my foot somehow. If I haven't walked for a while (after I get up from sleeping or taking a drive) and I take a step it feels like my bones are trying to force themselves out the heel of my foot. And lemme tell ya, that don't feel good. I hope it doesn't cause me much trouble at the convention . . . but I know it will. The funny thing is, I have no idea what could have caused it. I'll try to pamper it a bit and hope for the best. Maybe I need new shoes.


At July 21, 2004 1:11 PM, Blogger Meredith said...

Sue McCown - executive pastry chef at the Earth and Ocean (at the W Hotel). She rocks *and* rolls. We're still working through the leftovers of the big chocolate one chunk by chunk... mmmm...

At July 22, 2004 12:44 AM, Blogger Jon said...

Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to pass it on to the interested parties. Honestly, the cake was good and collectively they were the prettiest cakes I've ever seen . . . or ate.

I'm jealous of your continued snacking on them.

Congrats again!


Post a Comment

<< Home