Monday, December 04, 2006


I'm back from a long week of travel. I took off last Tuesday morning at 4:00 am. My cab called at 4:03 to tell me they couldn't take me to the airport due to the weather. See, it'd snowed, so the cabbies all called in sick. So, I drove to the airport on my own.

I flew to Chicago, but the weather there was bad, so we had to land in Rockford to refuel, but there was something wrong with the plane, so we waited on the tarmac for 4 1/2 hours while it was fixed. Then we flew the 18 minutes to O'Hare and landed.

I met up with Jim, picked up our rental car (a nice new Taurus with only 6,000 miles on it) and drove up to Madison. The traffic was fine, but we ended up getting in too late to meet up with people for dinner, which was too bad. Luckily, I had time to do some laundry and then got a good night's sleep.

Wednesday we had our morning meeting, then hopped in the car and drove to Fort Wayne, Indiana, which took a lot longer than we thought it would, so we didn't get in until about 11:30pm (which was actually 12:30am local time because we crossed a time zone).

Thursday's meetings went well, then we drove back to Rockford, Illinois by way of Chicago, so that took a while longer due to traffic. We stayed at a place called Cliffbreakers, which is a local place that's decked out with a plethora of antiques and curiousities recovered from Chicago-area historical sites. It made for a nice place to stay. We started hearing that snow was going to fall overnight and that we might be out of luck flying out the next day.

They were right, it snowed. A pretty good amount of snow, too. My Wisconsin driving skills were still sharp, so we were able to get out of the mostly-unplowed parking lot and to our meeting, then make our way down the highway to O'Hare. My flight was cancelled, but Jim's was heading out, so he took off and I found a hotel that could take me for the night and I flew out on Saturday, 24 hours after I was supposed to.

The trip was productive, we introduced ourselves and the company, showed off our first two games, and were pretty happy with the feedback we got. I also managed to get a lot of reading done in preparation for my new D&D game.

Speaking of which, I met with the players on Sunday afternoon to write up characters. We have a couple of people who are new to the group, but it looks like eveything will work out. We're going to play our first session on Friday.

Julia had a two-day show over the weekend, and that went very well for her. People looking for gifts are definitely a good thing for her business.

I have a headache, I'm gonna go. More soon.


Post a Comment

<< Home