Monday, August 25, 2008

The Word of the Day: Sore

I am sore. So very, very sore.

The brief recap is that Julia and I managed to get everything packed up and prepared for the big move this last weekend. Saturday morning at 8:30 I picked up a truck from the nearby Budget truck rental place (and not the West Seattle U-Haul, which sucks). Then it was back to the house where I spent quite a few minutes trying to back the 24' truck up to the driveway around a number of parked cars. Finally we started moving. "We" comprised me, Julia, her mom, her dad, her brother, Shana, Seth, Johnzo, Ethan, Hays, and later on, Dylan.

To put things simply; we own way too much stuff. We filled the 24' truck as well as four or five other cars, then had to make a second trip to the house after unloading. We finally made it home and unloaded the second load by about ten o'clock.

Then I was back up at 6:30 to take the truck to Julia's parents' house so we could get the stuff we packed into their garage in January. In this case "we" were me, Julia's dad, Julia's brother, her uncle Tim, and her cousin Chris. We unloaded everything by about 10:30, then took a break to relax, eat, and organize some of what we already had. At some point I realized we forgot a bunch of plants and outdoorsy stuff stored in Julia's parents' backyard, so I went back over and picked that up and brought it home. In the rain. I now know what 'soaking wet' means.

Anyway, except for the PS2 that Seth borrowed, all of our belongings are in our new house.

Julia and I have both decided to go through everything we own and pare down significantly. My gaming books are no longer safe. The same with my novels. And action figures. And if I can figure out what to do with them, my comics might not be safe either (but that's a big 'if', I just don't know if I can handle parting with them). Lots must go. It's all just too much. Literally.

So, now we're in the organizing phase of the move. We need to find some important pieces so we can move forward. The biggest thing on my mind is that I have to find the plug that used to be on the dryer and replace the one I had to put on it at the old house since the plug at the new house uses the other style of outlet. I have no clue where that plug is and I fear we may have tossed it when we were packing up in January. But I don't think we did. Once the plug is replaced we can start on some laundry.

Oh, the cats handled the move okay. They cried in transport, but once they were at the house they were more curious than anything. Maybe a bit overwhelmed, but they seem to like the carpet; makes it easy to tear around the house and actually have traction.

More soon. Oh, but no Internet at home yet. I'll let you know when that changes.

3 Comments:

At August 25, 2008 5:06 PM, Blogger Rafial said...

...they seem to like the carpet; makes it easy to tear around the house and actually have traction...

Also totally sweet for barfing on!

 
At August 27, 2008 6:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new house! I know it was a nerve-wracking, gut-wrenching challenge to get there, so kudos to you!

 
At August 30, 2008 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sell your comics? Jon, never thought I'd hear you even entertain that concept.

MCRP

 

Post a Comment

<< Home