Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Not Good

Nothing about today was good.

I went to the doctor, pretty much first thing this morning I had to go in to see the doctor (see last post) so he could give me the results of my lab tests.

The short story is that I have high blood pressure (today's readings were 142/82 and 130/80), diabetes (blood sugar in the 180 range, I think) and the lowest vitamin D levels he's ever seen (4, whatever that means). Oh, and I may have fatty deposits in my liver.

The longer story is that I now have medical conditions that require medication weekly, daily, and twice daily to treat everything. I also have to meet with someone to discuss my diabetes and how I'll need to change things in addition to the medication. Then I have to have an ultrasound on my liver to see if it actually has fatty deposits.

And the end result of all of this is that I'm so angry and disappointed in myself that I can barely stand it. All of my reasons and/or excuses for not working out regularly and all of my crazy cravings for sweets have led me to the worst shape I've ever been in.

So, now, to fix this I'll be walking every day at lunch. That will help to solve all the problems; the exercize will serve to lower my blood sugar and get me into better shape -- and walking at lunch will get me in the sun more often which will help with the vitamin D.

I'll learn more in my meetings, but hopefully the pills won't be around for long.

I'm trying to be positive about all of this, but it's not easy. I'm so disappointed in myself. This is 35 years worth of body, weight, and health issues that have finally come to a head. I don't want to be in this position.

3 Comments:

At February 05, 2009 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about the health issues. It is scant consolation, but you have an opportunity to change course now and minimize the problems later in life. I wish you the best of success--I know what a struggle it has been and will continue to be.

 
At February 13, 2009 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon: Glad you caught it now. That BP is not too bad; DM2 is v. concerning, but again, you caught it relatively young. You have a GREAT plan -- excercise. If you lose 100lbs and strictly follow a diabetic diet (while on the medications) it is entirely possible that you will stop needing any medications to manage your blood sugar and blood pressures. (Get your cholesterol checked and medicated if needed too.) The better news is that once you are in that state, you can probably resume a relatively normal diet. It is important to remember that the diet restrictions can be temporary. I have faith in you, my friend. Work at it and you'll be around for a long, healthy time. I am very glad you are taking this seriously. Diabetes is a horrible disease largely because it doesn't hurt until it is too late. You caught it early and so can arrest it, and avoid the bad parts of it.

Keep us posted.

RL

 
At February 13, 2009 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, almost forgot. No diabetes diagnosis w/ one random blood sugar unless it is >200 and you have other symptoms. Get a fasting blood sugar x 2 for diagnosis.


RL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home