Sunday, August 08, 2004

Not-So-Strange Visitors

Rob and Jen arrived on Friday after a hard day of meetings and a game of Risk: Godstorm at the office.

First, the game: it was slow and not as large-scale as a normal Risk game is. None of us were able to build up big armies and none of us felt like we could win. I really liked being able to bring the different gods into play and especially the effects they granted, but the game was slow and ultimatley not very satisfying. Perhaps if I play again it will be different. The best game they've done in the Risk line (other than the original) is the Lord of the Rings Risk. It's an excellent game.

Anyway, Rob and Jen. Friday night was pretty low-key. Seth, Rob, Jen, and I met up, had some dinner at Cafe Bizzarro in Wallingford. It's a great place; lots of personality and good food (but the service was a little slow for us). After dinner we went to Seth's and talked for a while.

Saturday we met up, showed them the offices, then went down to Pike Place Market. We explored a bit, picked up some produce, walked over to the piers/waterfront for no particular reason, then grabbed a light lunch at the Pike Place Pub & Brewery. Oh, and we picked up our comics. We headed back home for a while, then hopped back in the car to go to Sunset Bowl in Ballard for my birthday party thing. It was a great turnout (about 15 or so) and I hope everyone had fun. I did.

A few hours of bowling later and a handful of us went to Hattie's Hat, but it didn't offer anyplace for the five of us to sit, so we walked over to the Locks & Anchor (or some such) and talked a while. Seth came back after taking Rob and Jen home, Shana left, the rest of us went to the girls' hair stylist's place for her going away party (let that sink in a bit. Yeah, it's weird. It's okay to think that. I do.) . We were there all of four minutes, then we parked at the girls' house and walked down to the De Luxe for some late-night snacks and drinks until about two o'clock. A very good night.

Sunday I slept in to recover from the late night and to make up for lost sleep from some late nights earlier in the week. After noon I went into work to proof some files while Seth, Rob, and Jen drove up to Snoqualmie Falls and to visit North Bend (where they filmed Twin Peaks). I really wanted to go, but with work and, more importantly, the problems I've been having with my foot, I didn't go. Instead I worked, then tried to play some City of Heroes, but that went nowhere.

I met up with Seth and the others for a quick dinner then we watched The Bourne Identity over at Seth's. Now I can go see the new movie in that line this week. And get a haircut. And get my oil changed. None of those things are really related, I just remembered I have to do them this week.

After the movie tonight I said goodbye to Rob and Jen. Tomorrow they head up into Canada for some exploring, then back to Portland later in the week before they fly home. It was good to see them out here. Rob certainly seems to like the area. I'm looking forward to my trip home in a couple of weeks. This was a nice preview.

Time to get to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home