Sunday, June 05, 2005

I've Made a Decision

I think all weekends should be three days long.

I know, not a controversial decision, but it's all I got. Last weekend's three-day break spoiled me and I want tomorrow to be a day off, too. Ah well, you're probably reading this at work anyway, so I'm sure I'll be at work bright-eyed and bushy-tailed in the morning.

I see in the comments regarding my post about my visit to the Battlestar Galactica set, that everyone is appropriately jealous. I have to admit, I'm not one to get starstruck. It was cool to see the sets and meet the actors, but they're just people doing a job; sometimes it rocks and sometimes it's just work. I often get people who think I have the ultimate in cool jobs, but sometimes it's just work. I know everyone who has a cool job must feel the same way.

The weekend? It was good. It was another relaxing couple of days that involved hanging out with Katie and Beth Friday night at the house Katie was housesitting. (I won't mention that we locked ourselves out and had to break in. We'd make good thieves.)

Saturday I did comics with Shane and Cathy, got a $35 parking ticket because I was about two minutes late getting to my car, and then checked out a bunch of game stores I haven't been to in a while; Gary's Games in Greenwood and the Game Wizard in Ballard. Regarding Gary's; how much do you have to spend in order to have the clerk actually thank you? I spent $60 and the woman "helping" me didn't say a word to me. I doubt I'll go there again. I bet Gary would be upset to hear that.

Here's the thing. The gaming market is a niche. If you don't offer your customers a reason to come back to your store, they'll find someplace else to go. When I walked into the store the clerk and her friends were all gathered around a counter chatting. She didn't say hello, didn't ask if I needed help, didn't ask me if I'd found everything I wanted, and didn't say thank you when I paid for my books. She offered me absolutely no reason to go back there, so I don't think I will. How many specialty stores fail because of too many instances like that? Heh, considering that I constantly hear that at any given time there are roughly 3,000 specialty stores in our industry and roughly 500 close every year, I guess I know the answer.

Anyway, Saturday evening I had a late dinner with Shane and Cathy at the B&O. And Sunday I read, watched DVDs, and went for a walk. There you go.

Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad, I forgot to tell you that on the phone Sunday.

3 Comments:

At June 06, 2005 6:05 AM, Blogger Artillery MKV said...

I think you would be doing the industry, and the local community a favor by contacting the ownership of that store. I'm sure they'd be just as appalled as you were. Small business owners are aware of the pitfalls of the service industry, but event they need to get out of the shop sometimes. Letting them know that they've left an idiot in charge can't help but improve things.

 
At June 07, 2005 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience at Gary's. I must say that everytime I've gone in there, the people minding the counter have always gone out of their way to be friendly, even if they are involved in a game (and they often are). Then again, I typically go in on week nights, so perhaps it is a different crowd

 
At June 17, 2005 6:24 PM, Blogger Matt Wilson said...

There was always a dude in there on weekdays who was unnervingly friendly, like he was all smiley and talkative, but none of it was really interactive. I liked that less than mild BO no-talk chick.

I'm all, oh crap, what crazy shit is he going to spout at me today with that terrifying grin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home