Sunday, September 19, 2004

Do me a favor...

Sign in.

Seriously, go to the comments thread for this post and sign your name. I'm curious about who reads this blog on a semi-regular basis. You don't have to register with blogger, just hit "anonymous" and type your name (first name with a hint of who you are is good if you're paranoid about listing your full name). Thanks!

You'll notice that the upper right-hand portion of the blog has a new green square with my profile. I put that up because I wanted easy access to the stats that blogger tracks (number of words, number of posts, etc.) not because I think you want to know more about me. It's interesting to note that I've written about 130,000 words here so far and with an average of only two posts a week. I think I need to increase that number, but I can tell my posts have definitely become more infrequent. Maybe because I'm spending more time out and about and less in front of the computer -- or maybe because I'm spending more time in front of the computer playing City of Heroes. Who can say for certain?

The weekend you ask? It went well. I was particularly bad about getting good sleep last week so I'd hoped to sleep in a bit and recover. That sort of worked out.

Friday during the day we had our regular, monthly game day. Matt, Jason, Leslie, and I played a very entertaining game of HeroClix (Battle Royal format -- meaning, basically, four random figures). We also found out Friday that we're going to go see Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow this week. I signed up for Wednesday. It's great to work someplace that insists you keep up with pop culture. And it'll be interesting to see how closely this movie is to Crimson Skies.

Friday evening I hung around work for a while and played City of Heroes with some of the guys, then got a call from Katie, Kate, and Beth. They wanted me to meet them for drinks, so I met them at Cha Cha. After a while we went to the Honey Hole because Katie and Kate wanted the artichoke dip they make. Finally we went to Linda's to round out the evening. It's amazing that we talked to almost no one but each other for hours and hours, but we still had a great time. After the bars I drove the girls back to their place (the neighbors have finally had their house torn down -- nine months after it was destroyed by the fire -- that was weird to see) and made some pizza for them. They're apparently very hungry girls. While the pizza was cooking Kate talked on the phone and Katie played her guitar and sang. She's amazingly talented.

The fact that I slept until a bit after eleven Saturday should be mitigated somewhat by the knowledge that I didn't get to bed until 3:30 Friday night. Saturday continued to be a pretty lazy day. I had breakfast, picked up comics with Seth, did laundry, had dinner with Kevin and Kim for her birthday (a note on that in a moment), and then went back over to Katie, Kate, and Beth's to watch some DVDs with them and Shana. We watched Along Came Polly and Foxfire. The first was better than I would have thought. Phillip Seymour Hoffman is very funny in it. The latter was, um, nostalgia for the girls. They half-remembered it from when they were younger and now I think they wished they hadn't seen it again. Oh, and for those playing at homw, this movie starred a young Angelina Jolie and she takes off her shirt! Quick! Run out and rent it! (Um, does the mocking tone come through clearly enough there? I'm not sure.)

As we watched the movies I read through some Unknown Armies books and jotted down ideas for a game I may run of it. I'm having a difficult time with it because I have a number of ideas, but I'm not sure how the players will accept them. I'll keep working on it. No rush.

Sunday I managed to get some work done. I did more laundry (it'd been a while) cleaned some stuff out of a closet, cleaned out a ton of stuff from work and loaded it all into the car with the intention of taking it to storage. That didn't work, though, because I had to meet Shana, Jen, Hays, Liz, Madalyn, Matt S., and Kate at the Guild on 45th to see Garden State. Excellent movie, although it seems like a lot of movies lately are trying to tell you that life is the journey, not the destination; it's all about the ride, not the end, etc. The cool thing about this movie -- and I'd like to see it again to try to notice more of these things -- is that it's a classic quest and it's loaded with symbolism that's effective and somewhat unobtrusive. I especially liked the addition of the knight, the abyss, and Natalie Portman's character (I forget her name, but she was basically Una/Faith). Very good stuff.

By the way, if anyone knows Nick Harmer (the bassist in the band Death Cab for Cutie) tell him I know Volvo Girl and he should contact me if he'd like to meet her.

Oh, Jason started a blog of our run through the World's Largest Dungeon, you can check it out here. Fun.

More soon.

14 Comments:

At September 20, 2004 1:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frist P0st!

SCatWoT is the movie George Lucas would have made if had ever understood what was really cool about the serials he claims to love. And the hell with Angelina Jolie taking her shirt off, you want to see her put the jet pack ON...

And I guarantee you if you started offering some UA love around at UGAX, we'd be lining up to eat it with a spoon. Trust me on this.

-Wilhelm

 
At September 20, 2004 6:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glenn Loos-Austin
I usually stop by about once a week. Recently I've stopped by more often, because I posted a comment, and wanted to see if anyone followed up, after I noticed that someone followed a link in the comment to my WLD blog.

 
At September 20, 2004 7:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liana

I have you bookmarked in my "logs" group of tabs and check in as part of my daily surf.

 
At September 20, 2004 7:19 AM, Blogger Jason said...

Jason here sir, reporting for duty! Pardon me while I sit in the corner and drool all over myself.

 
At September 20, 2004 7:20 AM, Blogger Jason said...

I have another comment: the next time you intend to go to a place called "The Honey Hole" with three hotties, it IS OK to give me a call!!! :)

 
At September 20, 2004 9:20 AM, Blogger Jeff_Grubb said...

Your blog is a regular check-in for me (as is Jason's).

Jeff G.

 
At September 20, 2004 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. John K.

I think my frequency of checking exceeds your frequency of posting. Damn that variable, intermittent reinforcement scheme!!

 
At September 20, 2004 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blake - Michigan

I'm not even sure where I found a link to your blog, Jeff Grub's site??, but I've been checking it a few times a week now for about two or three months.

Just another gaming geek here. =)

 
At September 20, 2004 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Great and Powerful OZ

 
At September 20, 2004 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jon,

Its Phil. I am now urging you to tele-commute to work from Wisconsin.

 
At September 20, 2004 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW Phil there is damn glad to meetchya!

Kevin R-R here! I stop in when I can. Nine years since you were my best man come this November! Always like to check in on ya!

It's strange to me, in a really cool way, that any number of my friends from college can casually hang out with the folks we idolized at the DMA.

Man, I miss the old-school, hardcore gaming sometimes . . .but not when I'm getting hugs from Quinn or Spence!

PS: Happy birthday Abby . . .we miss you! 9/20/00.

 
At September 21, 2004 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jon, this be Lou W. Long time lurker, first time poster! I check at least three times a week (and you need to warn us before taking a vacation like you did at the end of August).

 
At September 21, 2004 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lou W.? Wacky Lou Wainwright?

RL

 
At September 28, 2004 5:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seem to have missed this post while I was watching my parents' house during their vacation! I go in spurts of checking every day when you post something, but then trailing off again when you leave me feeling needy. In any case I'm here and at Ober Dicta many times a week. It keeps a connection going that I (seriously) sorely miss.

Scott

 

Post a Comment

<< Home