Monday, September 06, 2004

Canada for the First Time

I spent the weekend in Vancouver, which is (and I only say this because you were most likely brought up in the U.S. educational system) in Canada.

Despite how close I've always lived to our neighbors to the North, I've never actually been to Canada before. I'm actually kind of amazed it took me 35 years to get there. And it adds another country to my list of places that I've visited for at least a night. Lemme think:

Cyprus (Greek and Turkish sides)
Greece
Turkey
Netherlands
China (and Hong Kong)

I need to add to that list.

Anyway, the weekend away was for Hays' bachelor party. The party was fun, but not so much as you'd think. Bachelor parties always seem to be a bit of a let-down. Mostly it was nice to get away for a few days again. I could get used to vacation every week or so.

Friday night I went to dinner with my ex-girlfriend, Jen. She's leaving for L.A. soon, so we thought we'd get together for dinner before she left. It was good to see her. We had dinner at Julia's and then as we were driving back Katie called and invited us to drinks with her, Kate, Beth, Pat, and Angel. So, we did. It was pretty laid back, a short stop at the Honey Hole, then to a pub I forget the name of, then over to the Capitol Club. We picked up Seth, Chris, Andy (who's in town visiting Seth for a couple of days), and Amber (a friend of Jen's who was leaving for Italy on Sunday). Lots of visiting and talking. Fun.

Okay, so this thing with Jen: we had fun, but at one point we talked about what we'd done this summer and she mentioned her recent ex-boyfriend. She said they dated for four or five months before they broke up in August. My mind figures things out quickly when she mentions this: We broke up in the second month of the year. They broke up in the eighth. So that means she broke up with me, saying that she didn't have time to see anyone and that she was moving anyway, so there wasn't much point to it, and then started dating someone new within a month or so.

That bugged me a bit. Made me feel like she lied to me when she broke up with me, etc, etc. But ultimately I know she made the decisions she felt were the right ones. I think she told me the truth, but then she met someone and decided dating wasn't such a bad idea. Regardless, I just can't be angry about it because it doesn't really matter. If she wants to be friends, fine by me. She's fun, nice, pretty, and talented.

Okay, that's all the serious talk for now. It's time for me to go read some comics and go to bed.

1 Comments:

At September 08, 2004 7:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm . .. tried to post and it disappeared! Here it is again . ..sorta . ..

Our recent family vacation took us through Ontario (also Canada!), a first for most of the family. We only stayed two nights (once on the way to MA, once on the way back). My overall impression was very positive and I'd like to go back sometime just to visit and play the tourist!

My country list is pretty small too:
Portugal
Australia
New Zealand
Canada

Now, States, that's a different matter:
Wisconsin, Massachussetts, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, New York, D.C., Virginia, North and South Carolina, Florida, Illinois, Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio, Indiana and that's about it so far!

Must . . travel . . more!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home