Wednesday, September 01, 2004

"How many corns d'ya got?"

I'm sorry to say I actually heard someone at the grocery store say that tonight. See, he was working the register and someone walked up with some bags full of corn, so he wanted to know "how many corns" he had. It caused me pain, so I thought I'd share.

The news tonight had lots of coverage on the STORMS that rocked the area tonight -- there were three cracks of thunder and some small hail nearby, oh, and some "heavy rain" that lasted about fifteen minutes and caused flooding. Lordy these people and their city's infrastructure can't handle real weather! Just sayin'.

When I showed up at work today after two weeks away I had a small pile of things waiting for me. The coolest of which was a copy of The Cooler on DVD. Woohoo for me and thanks to Jason for the gift! It's good to have connections.

Backing up two weeks. I went to GenCon in Indianapolis and then followed it up with a trip home to Burlington (with a nice sidetrip to Madison). I could go into a blow-by-blow of how vacation went, but I don't think anyone wants that (and besides, I'm tired).

The high points of the different parts of the trip were picking up lots of fun games at GenCon, including Matt's Prime Time Adventures, the rerelease of Vampire, and the World's Largest Dungeon. In Madison the high points were seeing Becca and Doug's new baby. Seeing Scott for the first time in well over a year -- maybe over a year and a half. And pretty much seeing everyone in Madison. Finally, the high points at home were seeing my parents, grandma, and sisters and their families. Plus, I played a bunch of games with my nephews. That was a lot of fun. It's funny how different they all are.

Wow, my writing tonight is awful, but I'm still very much on Central time, so I'm very sleepy.

I'm going to bed so I can get up and figure out where and when I can get my brakes fixed in the next day or so. I figure it would be nice to have brakes that work if I'm going to drive a bunch of people to Vancouver Saturday.

Oh, and somehow I lost about 10 pounds over vacation (isn't that against the rules?), so I'm at the lightest I've been since I started this whole "getting in shape" thing.

Sleepy time.

3 Comments:

At September 02, 2004 6:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon,
I wish we'd had more time to hang out while you were in town! I hadn't realized you were here for so short a time or I would have blow off that game to hang out. Yep, I'm a lame-o!

It was good to see you anyway! Later!

-Kevin

 
At September 02, 2004 7:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"How many corns?" sounds like the guy needed foot treatment, and badly.

Anyway, it was a treat to see you (in Indy, then in Madison), and how pleasant to have lost weight while on vacation--especially given typical convention fare...

John K

 
At September 02, 2004 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It must have been Kiwi's nutritious food offerings that did the trick for you....(he's hurt, btw, that he wasn't listed as the most special part of your vacation...pluck, pluck)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home