Thursday, September 23, 2004

Ripoffs and Guard Dogs

Wednesday was a heck of a day.

Good thing: Work pays for all of us to ge see movies every now and again. Usually about once a month and usually for a pretty geeky movie that somehow applies to work . . . in some way. Anyway, we saw Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. A lot of its trappings are very similar to Crimson Skies, but the end result was very different. The movie itself was good enough, but it really bothered me that there was nothing original in the movie. Everything was either an "homage" to the old serials or was ripped off completely from non-serial sources and presented as original. That annoyed me. It's not a movie I'll buy.

Bad thing: Since my boss is gone -- and this happens every time he's gone -- people feel like they can get me to do things or make decisions in his absence that I have no business making. He's the Vice President, not me. If something requires his sign-off, then get it from him, not me. It's much more in-depth than that, but I don't want to go into specifics other than to say it annoyed me and stressed me out. Of course at the same time, I have absolutely telling people no, especially when they should know better.

Chris Farley isn't funny. Never was. (Sorry, an ad just came on with his new DVD being advertised and I had to mention that.) I just don't think he's funny.

5 Comments:

At September 23, 2004 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's more of us than you know -- I hearby inaguarate this online chapter of the "Chris Farley is an annoying dead fat guy" club.

-wilhelm

 
At September 23, 2004 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in.

Scott

 
At September 23, 2004 9:31 PM, Blogger Seth Johnson said...

I went to check the Amazon comments on the "Best of Chris Farley" DVD just to see if there was something funny he did that I was forgetting. Apparently not. I'll join.

Wait--he was in that "Pyramid of Pain" sketch. Does that count?

 
At September 24, 2004 6:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Farley was funny for, oh, about the first 10 seconds I saw him on SNL. After that he was on a continuous repeat loop that continuously got less funny with each repeat.

If you want funny pyramids read Terry Pratchett's Pyramids, a Disc-world novel. Funny, funny stuff. A camel, named You Bastard is the greatest mathmatician of the age. Weird!

-Kevin R-R

 
At September 24, 2004 4:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, I know you have the imprimatur of authority, Jon, but why aren't these supplicants going *up* the food chain rather than down?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home