Thursday, December 16, 2004

The Latest

I left work at 2:30. I seem to be doing this once a week plus coming in on the weekends for a few hours. I'm tired but I don't have time to relax. If I think about it for more than a few seconds I get angry and depressed. I fee like I'm not making any progress . . . in work, life, with my weight. Today was particularly bad on that last item.

I think I just need to sleep, but I can't come home and go right to bed, it doesn't work that way.

I know I should be at work at a normal time, too, because I have someone transferring over from another department. I don't know how that will happen, but I might get lucky and wake up in time.

The great thing is I didn't even finish everything I need to have done. Typical of how things have been lately.

It's a good thing I have some time off for the holidays.

4 Comments:

At December 16, 2004 6:09 AM, Blogger Artillery MKV said...

Working a little extra time is to be expected of an executive level employee. The kinds of hours you describe are INSANE!

I know it's a small company and you have a lot of responsibilities, but this kind of schedule WILL cause burnout.

Look for ways to delegate some of the work. Discuss this with your boss. That they've given you so much to do is indicative of their respect for your work. The last thing they want is for you to burn out and leave due to no personal time.

Your relationship with yourself (sounds funny, but is true) is just as important as other folks' marriages and kids. If you can't make time for Jon, Jon will make your life miserable!

 
At December 16, 2004 7:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To echo Kevin's comments, it sounds like some better time management would be useful (you and me both, dude). It's probably more challenging for you than for Kevin or me because my hobbies don't overlap with my work in quite the same way.

Normalizing your schedule is a matter of forcing yourself to get up at a consistent time, even on the weekends. Eventually, you will be tired at the appropriate time, and you will have reached circadia. (Not to be confused with reaching a cicada.)

Chirpily yours,
John K

 
At December 16, 2004 9:18 AM, Blogger Jon said...

I get all that. The problem is that everyone at work has days like that. Seth stayed until almost 5:00am last week and the week before Matt stayed until 4:30. The problem is that we all have too much work that needs to be done, so I can in good conscience hand over more work to someone else. My boss is aware of the issue and it's an ongoing process to convince others that we need help. And like I said, we're getting some today.

Thanks for the commisseration.

 
At December 17, 2004 4:54 PM, Blogger Anonymous said...

Haaaroooo!

Don't work so hard, unless they are paying double overtime, which I bet they are not.

Go home. Read a good book.

Relax.

Phil

 

Post a Comment

<< Home