Monday, July 18, 2005

Con Games

I returned Sunday evening from another thrilling and exhausting convention. (I think that's the first time I've used 'thrilling' in a sentence in this blog and meant it, by the way.) This time it was the immense San Diego Comic Con International. The number I heard being tossed around today was that there were 100,000 people there, but it didn't seem as crowded to me this year as it did last year.

We demoed a number of games and I'm looking forward to how they're received once the two new ones are available. The feedback from the conventions have certainly been overwhelmingly positive.

I was able to chat with Robert Kirkman (writer of Invincible), Peter David (writer of The Hulk, again), saw Seth Green ("Scotty don't!" (That's for you, Jason)), and the Wayans brothers, again. I didn't have a Joss Whedon sighting this year, which was a bummer. I was hoping to make that a motif of my trips to this particular con.

Other than that, I found some fun t-shirts, picked up a couple of comics I missed when they were initially released, and traded for some new games.

Oh, I was also very happy to be able to hang out with Brian, who came to the show from Tampa. It seems we only get to hang out at conventions, so I'm going to try to plan a trip to visit him this fall sometime -- after the hurricanes and record-breaking heat, thank you.

For those of you who don't check the comments, check out the post below this one for a message from Rob, who apparently had enough time to post a quick comment between pushups.

I hadn't heard of this before, but there's apparently a "new" type of puzzle out there. Sudoku is a pretty basic sort of puzzle in which you have to fill in numbers crossword-style. But, of course, it's easier and harder than that. Check it out, you may have found a new pasttime. If you're really curious you may want to do a Google search on sudoku puzzles and find more sites to your liking.

If I think of anything else from the convention, I'll post it. Mostly I'm tired right now, so I think bed might be in order.

2 Comments:

At July 19, 2005 6:18 AM, Blogger Artillery MKV said...

Perhaps the theme for this year's con was: "where IS Joss Wheden?" Perhaps you didn't look hard enough and he's still hiding behind a planter in one of the corridors waiting for you!

Glad you had a great time at the con!

Sudoku is HARD! We've had them in the local paper for a few weeks and I've attempted a few, but with little success. I can usually get 4 lines and then there's trouble in paradise. I guess I'll stick with the Jumble and the cross word.

 
At July 19, 2005 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got hooked on SuDoku when I visited London. I picked up a paper on the Underground and it had one in it. I thought it'd be a piece of cake and couldn't belive it took me two hours to solve. I was really annoyed until I noticed that the difficulty level was 'Fiendish'...that made me feel better.

When I got back to the States I found that the London Times posted one every day and I did about 40 over the next couple of months. Then I burned out. They are really fun, but they do get a bit redundant. There are, after all, only 9 numbers. But by the end I was doing 'Difficult' in ~15 minutes and 'Fiendish' in around 30-40, so I at least felt like I'd learned a new skill.

Lou

 

Post a Comment

<< Home