Sunday, July 24, 2005

Long Silence

For some reason I've been very lax about updating during the week. I'll work on that. I know I got through stages of posting regularly and not so regularly, but I never know why that is. Anyway, the last week has been good. I've been making a concerted effort to be more active, and although the early part of last week I was pretty tired from the convention, by the weekend I was doing a fair amount of walking.

Walking, by the way, it what I'm doing instead of the gym most of the time. I'm sure I'll go to the gym, too, but most of the time I'm going to be walking. I may even walk to work semi-regularly if I can get up early enough -- which I'm really going to try to do. I'll let you know how it goes.

Work's been going well, but I don't feel like I'm really making progress on things. I should make some good progress this week, though. I was able to test something for the first time on Friday and it needs to be reworked, but the basic idea seems solid.

Thursday we started a new game of the new Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay game. We, of course, randomly generated out characters and I'm playing a dwarven troll slayer named Bokdok the Bastard. He should be fun and I'm really looking forward to playing a straightforward fantasy game.

Friday I took a couple hours out of the day to run over to Redmond on an errand and took some time to stop by the game store and I even picked up a new Champions book. I can't help it, I love Champions and I enjoy what they publish, even if I'm not currently in a game and don't have much chance of getting into one anytime soon.

I spend Friday night discovering the evils of online poker -- which I won't be getting into anymore than I did this weekend because it could become much too expensive. So, consider that chapter of my life over -- although I did win two of the ten or so games I played, so it wasn't a total loss. Besides, I went to Sandra's later in the evening and played poker with real, live people, which is always more fun. And I won about $3.50.

Saturday was comics, laundry, and a long walk with Seth, during which we went to the mall and I bought an iPod. See, I neeeeeeded it (believe me?) because I'm going to start this whole walking regimen and my bulky, single-CD walkman wasn't going to cut it if I was going to be spending a lot of time trundling about town. See? Need.

Sunday I met a friend for coffee in Kirkland -- which was having a big classic car show, so I was able to check out some fun, old cars -- the oldest of which was from 1901, that was pretty cool. Plus there were some nice Mustangs, so I was entertained. When I was leaving there Shana called, so I picked her up and we had brunch at Mae's on Phinney Ridge. It reminded me of Mickey's Dairy Bar in Madison. Yum. Afterwards to went to Best Buy and Target, so we could needlessly spend some money, except Shana picked up some birthday presents for her dad. We also discussed what I should do for my birthday and I think I'm going to organize a dinner for this Friday with everyone. That would be fun.

This evening I went for another walk with Seth and then I had dinner.

7 Comments:

At July 25, 2005 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really did need that IPod. It will make your life better and it really will make you more willing to walk. I've found that being able to put my IPod on has made me much more willing to go outside and weed, for example.

Although I don't play any RPGs these days I continue to buy a lot of Hero Systems books (Champs Universe only). I'm in awe (as I am sure you are) of the rate that Steve Long writes solid, if not spectacular, gamebooks. My favorite books since fifth edition are (in order):

1) Demon. Fantastic sourcebook. Wickedly complicated layers of plots and secrets making for the most intriguing 'villian organization' I've ever read. I don't generally like mystic superhero games, but Demon is just awesome. Great book.

2) USPD - Until Super Powers Database. Okay, I can generate powers with the best of them. Math, creativity, not a problem. But...Hero is soooo flexible, sometimes it is really helpful to get ideas, and there is nothing like the USPD for ideas. Sure, some of them are obvious (Fire Blast - 9d6 Energy Blast. Huge Fire Blast- 12d6 Energy Blast). But they get into some really clever special effects (Temporal, Friction!, etc.) and give great power ideas.

3) Conq, Killers and Crooks. 200+ pages of balanced, accurately pointed, interesting bad guys. I love it. Just fun to read and think about how to use these guys.

4) Viper. Like Demon, a book on how to run the bad guys. Nowhere near as clever, but very practical. Actually makes it seem possible to use 'normals' as the bad guys against supers (UNTIL, the good guy version is decent, but lots of overlap and good isn't as interesting).

5) Hero 5th Edition. Given the complexity of the rules I can't imagine a better presentation. I remember my first read through I had to keep going back to 4th edition just to marvel at how much better defined everything was and see how clear the examples were. Great, colorless, core rules book.

Lou

 
At July 25, 2005 10:12 PM, Blogger Jon said...

Hey Lou,

Thanks for reinforcing my purchase of the iPod. I feel much better knowing that it will make my life better.

You have good taste in Champions supplements, too. I don't have Demon, but I have the others and you're correct, they're very good. I'll have to take a look at that the next time I'm in the store.

 
At July 27, 2005 5:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now you just need a TiVo. Seriously, they have been the two most life-altering gadgets I have ever purchased, and both have produced unexpected side effects.

IPod -> I'm more more willing to get out of the house.

TiVo -> I watch a lot less TV, but I enjoy TV much much more.

Lou

 
At July 27, 2005 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wil mentioned to me the other day that he's into the idea of a Champions game too. Maybe we could get some Champs action going on Thursday nights after WFRP is done. I'd run it, if you'd be happy with just playing the Sidekick rules.

zo.

 
At July 27, 2005 10:18 PM, Blogger Jon said...

Lou:

I picked up Demon today. I'll give it a read.

Johnzo:

I'm always up for Champs. I think I have the Sidekick somewhere, but yeah, I'd be interested.

 
At July 28, 2005 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wish I could be there for your birthday Jon... Who will be the tequila sheriff?

RL

 
At August 09, 2005 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOU!! LOU LIVES!!
Sorry to interrupt your blog with my revelation, Jon, but I thought he had fallen victim to some terrible fate.

What color is your ipod? How many G's? Have you "got it" now, in terms of easy to use, load, get to the songs you want, etc?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home