Monday, February 27, 2006

Cut Down

Another good weekend. After a day of sleeping in and running some very light errands on Friday, I spent the late afternoon with Julia, then I headed to Jason and Liz's for some poker. It was a small game (just five of us for most of the evening) and I'm happy to report that I've continued my winning streak to tune of another $10. Which I believe brings my winnings to about $40. Yes, I am rich.

Saturday the 520 bridge was closed, so Julia and I mostly just hung out at my place, read, and watched some T.V. I know we did something else -- maybe even went into the city for some reason -- but I can't remember exactly what right now.

Sunday was a prototypical lazy day made up of a late breakfast, relaxing at Julia's, figuring out her gas fireplace and getting it started, and reading while she trimmed the fur on one of her cats. See, it's a longhair and has trouble with hairballs, so... Yes, I thought it was kind of funny, too, but damn if the cat didn't look oddly cute with it's rough haircut.

Monday I had my review at work; I'm still employed and everything's going very well. We even have some new, cool things to work on -- including a potentially big license that I really have to wrack my brain about this week.

After work I had dinner with Seth and chatted about comics and writing and work and all those other things we talk about -- including how badly we'd both like to see Scott again. It's been way too long, man!

The rest of the evening involved a surprise call from Julia, so I joined her at a local sushi place where I watched as she ate, then we went to my place to watch some of the Deadwood DVD's I borrowed from Jason. Very good stuff so far -- and it's really getting me in the mood to run Deadlands again, which should happen soon!

In an effort to actually follow through on cutting down (hence the title of this post) on my comics (one of the subjects I discussed with Seth and Julia tonight), I made a list of all the comics I would like to keep collecting along with a handful of limited series that I'm currently partway into. Here's the list of ongoing books that I'm keeping:

Invincible
The Walking Dead
Planetary (Very intermittant)
Fables
Albion (Is this still coming out?)
Powers (Although I'm getting a little tired of it.)
Captain America (As long as the quality stays up.)
Marvel Team-Up
Usagi Yojimbo
Astonishing X-Men
Ultimate X-Men (As long as Kirkland's writing.)
New Avengers (May not last much longer on the list.)
Astro City (Also very intermittant.)

I may be forgetting something, but I really don't think I am. The big challenge will be if I can resist checking out James Robinson's run on the upcoming Batman book. It was Batman, right Seth? If I stick to the list above that amounts to about $10 a week on comics.

See you soon!

3 Comments:

At March 02, 2006 2:17 AM, Blogger Seth Johnson said...

I believe Robinson will be doing a two(?) month run on all the Bat-books, telling a big eight(?) part story, after which the books will be handed over to their ongoing creative teams.

 
At March 05, 2006 3:24 PM, Blogger Mkae said...

I have done a lot of cutting down myself and $10 is about where I'm coming in at right now. I tend to stay more toward the traditional titles and I'm pretty happy with the Crisis storyline right now. New Avengers is a fun read, nothing more. I notice that besides the major arc, they're avoiding using Sentry like the plague. He shows up, but doesn't speak nor does the team interact with him.

New license? Do tell tomorrow. ;)

 
At March 05, 2006 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All bow before the might of Nude Willy....

Scott, what ARE you doing?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home