Sunday, April 30, 2006

No Chance

Obviously I didn't get a chance to update last Sunday or Monday to tell you how the busy weekend went. Anyway, it was good.

Sunday I picked up comics and then went to Clementine's first communion party. It was very low key, with some of her teachers, some of Mike and Sharon's co-workers, and Sharon's mom and dad who were in from out of town. After spending a couple of hours there I went to James' place and played poker. It was the last week that his friend, Sandy, and his roommate, Kevin, were going to still be in town. I can't quite figure out what I'm doing wrong, but I haven't had a very good record at poker lately. I think I have to play a bit more to figure it out completely. Maybe it's just the cards, but I think I'm not being selective enough and I have to work on that.

Monday was work, followed up by a birthday party for Julia's brother at their parents' place. Julia's brother is apparently a big comic book fan and particularly likes Batman, so I regifted a Batman and Catgirl statue I received a few years ago from DC for being a licensing partner. I didn't really care for the series, so I really didn't mind giving it away -- plus, when was the last time I successfully managed to get something like that out of my house as opposed to bringing it in?

Tuesday after work I played in (what ended up being) the last session of Jason's Game of Thrones game. He ran a good game and wrapped things up for this first stretch of the game very well. That means I'll start running a new Deadlands: Reloaded game this Tuesday. More on that in a moment.

Jim was in town this week to have a bunch of meetings on something he's working on that sounds pretty interesting. I'd go into that a bit more, but 1) I don't really know all that much, and 2) I don't want to give out information that he wouldn't like me to give out. So, wait and see with the rest of us on that one.

Skipping ahead to this weekend; Julia had a jewelry show on Saturday and I asked some of the sculptors to make a display for her. Unfortunately they didn't get started on it until Friday night, so they were up late Friday and then because the glue hadn't dried and they didn't have the right paint, Brian (one of the sculptors) and I were awake and at Home Depot at six in the morning on Saturday and spent until nine o'clock painting and drying the paint with hair dryers. Thankfully we made it just in time and I delivered it to Julia's show on time. She got a lot of compliments on it throughout the day. I'll see if I can post a photo. While she was doing her show, I actually had a chance to play City of Heroes for the first time in months.

This morning I suggested a buffet brunch to Julia and she was up for it, so we went on a quest to find such a thing. We eventually made out way to West Seattle to Salty's. Their buffet was pretty astounding and definitely something I'd do again, but it was pretty pricey, so I won't do it too often.

Now, I'm home and making notes for my aforementioned Deadlands game. I have a perfect start to the game, but I used it years ago when I first ran the original Deadlands and I'm feeling a little quilty about reusing the plot -- even though I'm updating and expanding it a bit. I'm sure I'll get over it. The plot is good and should be pretty enjoyable for everyone.

As I've been typing this, I've also been watching the last hour of Mulholland Drive, a David Lynch movie from 2001. I remember wanting to see it at the time. The movie is very odd, which should surprise no one who knows Lynch's work, and I really have to wonder what he's saying with it. I'm sure it could be surreal for the sake of being surreal and have no point, but it's just too damn well sculpted for that to be the case. I'll do a bit of digging and see what others have to say about it.

Now I'm signing off and getting some things done before going to dinner with Julia, Shana, and (hopefully) a couple of other people. More later.

1 Comments:

At May 01, 2006 6:10 PM, Blogger Jason said...

I'd be more than happy to talk to you about Mulholland Dr. at some point.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home